Choosing the correct data management system for your organisation
Choosing the right data management system for your organisation is an important one as it will be used to hold critical business intelligence, provide you with vital information about your operations and will be used to carry out hundreds of transactions each day. An effective management system can also save you on time and resources, and could even help to prevent compliance breaches and fines.
There are a variety of monitoring data management systems out there but how do you know which is the right one for your organisation? Here are 5 questions you need to ask if you’re looking for a new monitoring data management system:
1. Is it user-friendly?
If you’re using a data management system to monitor environmental or sustainability data, the system needs to make it easy for you manage this and ensure you remain compliant:
- Does the system provide accurate reporting and analytics easily?
- Can it provide clear, consistent and validated reporting to regulators?
- Can it effortlessly integrate with other software suits or databases
- Can it easily highlight compliance warnings?
2. Is it secure?
Data compliance is a risk for any business and shouldn’t be something that can be left to chance. You need to ensure that the platform you’re using to record data is being used efficiently and securely:
- Do you have confidence in the way the data will be recorded and managed?
- What would happen to your data if your premises suffered downtime?
- Would you be able to access your data safely and securely from anywhere?
3. Is it easily adaptable?
Every organisation and their environmental challenges are different so why should your data monitoring system be the same as everyone else’s? As your organisation grows, you also may need a system that grows along with you and can be altered to fit your needs. You need to ask:
- Is the system highly configurable?
- Is it scalable so that you can increase the scope when needed?
- Does the system give you complete control?
4. Can it help you reduce risks?
The main reason for monitoring environmental or sustainable data is to ensure you remain compliant, and to take the stress out of data management.
- Can the system provide you with validated reporting to regulators and other stakeholders?
- Can it centralise obligations, permits and policies?
- Can it help you manage obligations (permits and licences) and company policies?
5. Does it suit your budget and needs?
While it is clear that a free spreadsheet solution is not adequate for your operations, you need to consider if a bespoke system is financially viable and ensure it will not cost you dearly later on. You need to consider:
- Does the system provide everything you need under one roof, with a corresponding price tag?
- Will the supplier offer perpetual solutions if this is required?
- Does your IT policy require software as a service (SaaS)?
- Are there hidden costs for expanding the system in the future?
Data management can be complicated…but monitoring doesn’t have to be. Trusted the world over, MonitorPro gives you all the EHS software tools to take the stress out of Environmental and Sustainability data management and monitoring.
About EHS Data
EHS Data is a world leading UK based software company providing Environmental Data Management Solutions to over 1,000 sites in 40 countries worldwide. For over 20 years, our versatile software solution, MonitorPro, has helped organisations save time, improve planning, quality control, site analysis and reporting to manage environmental obligations and sustainability. MonitorPro is the first EHS Software solution to receive an MCERTS accreditation from the Environmental Agency. In 2020, EHS Data announced their pledge to become a carbon negative organisation.